|Born||(1974-05-09) May 9, 1974|
|Known for||Sculpture 07|
(m. 2001; div. 2010)
William (Bill) Magnuson
Jen Lewin is an interactive artist and engineer with a studio based in New York City who specializes in large scale installations in public spaces, usually combining elements such as light, sound and complex engineering. Her interactive light installation The Pool debuted in 2008 and has been exhibited across the globe, in cities such as Singapore, Sydney, Denver, Montréal and Prague, and in events such as South By Southwest and Burning Man.
Life and career
Lewin grew up in Maui and obtained her BA in Architecture and Computer Aided Design from the University of Colorado Boulder, later obtaining her M.P.S. degree in Interactive Design from Tisch School of the Arts.
Lewin married Kimbal Musk in 2001, brother of Elon Musk. They had two children together. They divorced in 2010. Lewin married William (Bill) Magnuson in 2012, and currently lives with Bill and their two children in New York City. In 2015 Lewin purchased a 4-story condo in Manhattan for 7 million dollars.
Her most known work, The Pool, featured on Wired, consists of over 200 LED-lit platforms that change colours ...according to pressure and speed changes elicited by viewers' interactions with the system. Termed an "interactive light sculpture", where human interaction is necessary for its display, this installation has toured several countries. Specializing in works that involve technology and human interaction, she often includes musical elements into her creations. For instance, other projects or hers include laser harps, where people elicit music via interrupting the laser arrangements.
According to the Boulder Weekly, Google commissioned Lewin to "create an Android app for tracking feedback between her innovations and the groups of people interacting with them". Lewin, along with her Pool installation, was featured by the BBC News in May 2013.
Jen Lewin was co-founder of The Kitchen restaurants in Boulder, along with Hugo Matheson and then husband, Kimbal Musk. She designed its three original locations. Lewin is also the original designer behind the Learning Gardens  created for Kimbal Musk and his foundation The Kitchen Community, now called Big Green.
Lewin also co-founded The Studio Boulder with business partner William Goodrich.
- 2017 Coral Springs Florida, Art Walk: Ascent by Jen Lewin
- 2010 Solaris, Vail: The Water Tree by Lawrence Argent, Light Art by Jen Lewin
- Takanawa Gateway Fest, Tokyo
- Oklahoma Contemporary
- Hong Kong Arts Centre
- Redwood City: Magical Harp and Light Pools
- Walnut Creek: Light Pool
- MSP Signature Work (Minneapolis Saint Paul Terminal 1.)
- Light Wall, Iolani School, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Aushans Harp, Aurora, Colorado
- Euclid, Norwalk, CT, Brookfeild Place
- Norwalk Cloud, Norwalk, CT, Brookfeild Plac
- Vivid Sydney
- Jeju Pool, South Korea
- Promenade, Denver
- Georgetown Glow, Georgetown DC: Aqueous
- Visual Arts Week, Mexico City: The Pool
- Enchanted Forest of Light, Descanso Gardens, Los Angeles: Aqueous
- BLINK Cincinnati: The Pool
- Worlds Fair Nano, Brooklyn: Aqueous
- Jing An Kerry Centre, Shanghai: The Pool
- Buring Man Black Rock City Honoraria, Black Rock City: Aqueous
- Light Festival Jerusalem: The Pool
- Chattanooga: The Pool
- Light City, Baltimore: Reflect
- Hong Kong Arts Festival:Hong Kong
- Arrow Arts Challenge, Denver, Colorado
- Cherry Creek Arts Festival, Denver, Colorado
- Midtown Crossing at Turner Park, Omaha, Nebraska
- WAVE: Light + Sound + Art, Breckenridge, Colorado
- NYCxDESIGN at the Design Pavilion, New York City
- B-Light Festival, Manama
- Mother of the Nation Festival, Abu Dhabi
- Light City, Baltimore
- i Light Marina Bay, Singapore
- SPECTRA, Aberdeen
- Winter Lights at Canary Wharf, London
- Luna Fete, New Orleans
- Istanbul Light Festival, Istanbul
- igNIGHT, Fort McMurray
- Burning Man
- Cherry Creek Arts Festival at Stanley
- Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- Bonnaroo Music Festival
- Summer in Paradise, West Palm Beach, Florida
- Montreal en Lumiere, Montreal, Quebec
- Canal Convergence, Scottsdale, Arizona
- University of Warwick Arts Centre
- Signal Festival, Prague
- Art de Colombo, Lisbon
- Burning Man, Honorarium Artist
- AHA! Light Up Cleveland
- Vivid Sydney
- i Light Marina Bay, Singapore
- Luminosity, Lexington
- Chalk The Block, El Paso
- Conway Artsfest
- Denver Art Biennale
- Escape From Wonderland
- Electric Daisy Carnival, Orlando, NYC, Chicago & Vegas
- University of Colorado Boulder Art Museum, Boulder, Colorado: Its Electric
- South by Southwest Republic Park
- 2020 Black Rock City Honoraria: Cosmos
- 2017 CODAaward: Merit Award Public Spaces: Sidewalk Harp
- 2017 Burning Man Arts Black Rock City Honoraria Grant: Aqueous
- 2017 Pre-qualified Public Artist: San Francisco Arts Commission
- 2017 Pre-qualified Public Artist: Houston Arts Alliance
- 2016 CODAvideo Award: Experience: Sidewalk Harp
- 2016 CODAawards Top 100: Sidewalk Harp
- 2016 Pre-qualified Artist, San Antonio Arts Commission
- 2016 CODAvideo Award: Experience: Sidewalk Harp
- 2016 Prequalified Public Artist: Outdoor Public Art, City of Palo Alto
- 2015 Architizer A+, Popular Choice "Edison Cloud"
- 2014 Black Rock Arts Foundation Honorarium, Super Pool
- 2014 Rotational Molding Product Design Competition: 1st Place Professional Division "Learning Gardens"
- 2013 University of Central Arkansas - Artist in Residence
- 2012 Black Rock Arts Foundation Honorarium, The Arc Harps
- 2008 Burning Man artists grant: The Pool
- 2005 Burning Man Honorarium: "Light Harp"
- 1996 Presidents Fund for Teaching Technology Research Grant
- 1996 Colorado Advanced Software Institute Research Grant
- Gan, Vicky. "Dive into Jen Lewin's Interactive Light Pool". Smithsonian Magazine. Smithsonian. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Adele Chong; Daan Roosegaarde; Timo de Rijk (2010). Interactive Landscapes. NAi. ISBN 978-90-5662-754-6.
- Sadusky, Heather (14 June 2015). "We Are Still The Wild West: TEDx Invigorates Denver". CBS Denver. CBS Denver. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Valys, Phillip. "No diving, but plenty of jumping, in West Palm Beach's 'Pool'". southflorida. southflorida. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Jůn, Dominik (18 October 2014). "Artist Jen Lewin and organiser Pavel Sedlák on the Prague Light Festival". Radio Prague. Radio Prague. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Johnston, Raymond. "Everybody in The Pool". Prague Post. Prague Post. Archived from the original on 15 October 2015. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Haller, Sonja. "Scottsdale Waterfront becomes artistic playground". Arizona Republic. Arizona Republic. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Vincent Vallières à Montréal en lumière". La Presse CA. La Presse CA. 3 February 2015. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- Schwartz, Carly (30 July 2014). "An Exclusive First Look At The Other-Worldly Art Of Burning Man 2014". Huffington Post. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- Thomsen, Simon. "19 Photos That Show How Stunning Vivid Sydney Looks This Year". Business Insider. Business Insider. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- Rinaldi, Ray Mark (16 December 2013). "Best of 2013: Denver's 13 best cultural moments of the year". Denver Post. Denver Post. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- 1997 Lewin, J. and M.D. Gross, "Resolving Archaeological Site Data With 3D Computer Modeling: The case of Ceren," J. Automation in Construction, 6(4).
- Lewin, Jen S., Mark Ehrhardt, and Mark D. Gross. "Not just another pretty face." CAAD futures 1997. Springer Netherlands, 1997. 635-654.
- National Geographic. National Geographic Society. April 1998.
- D’Addario, Daniel. "Pop Chart". Time. Time. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- ALDINÇ, Burcu (5 October 2015). "Both young and old to be enchanted by light artwork". Daily Sabah. Daily Sabah. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Lin, By Sara (2009-05-22). "Dot-Com Chef Meets Burning Man". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2021-10-14.
- Tribune, Alicia Eler Star. "Huge new sculpture lights up MSP airport, offering passengers a chance to smile and play". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2021-10-14.
- "Sculptor Buys Massive 4-Story Condo with Paparazzi Shield". July 2015.
- "East Village Luxury Home Sales Hit 5-Year High, Data Shows".
- Senese, Mike. "SXSW's Maker Takeover Flashes, Then Fizzles". Wired. Wired. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- Sjostrom, Jan. "Light up the night: Interactive installation to illuminate waterfront". Palm Beach Daily News. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- Moutinho, Amada (9 April 2015). "Out of the Box". Boulder Weekly. Boulder Weekly. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- MacCash, Doug. "Voodoo Fest 2009 puts an emphasis on the visual". The Times-Picayune. The Times-Picayune. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- Hua, Vanessa (31 October 2014). "All-Access Play: Designing more inclusive recreational spaces for kids".
- Bosler, Cayte (6 June 2013). "Art in a digital world". Boulder Weekly. Boulder Weekly. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Dailey, Kate; Bressanin, Anna; Shnitser, Ilya. "Jen Lewin: Artist dazzles with light-and-sound installations". BBC News. BBC News. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Budin, Jeremiah (July 2015). "Sculptor Buys Massive 4-Story Condo With Paparazzi Shield". Curbed. Curbed. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Ruth Tobias (20 August 2013). Denver & Boulder Chef's Table: Extraordinary Recipes from the Colorado Front Range. Rowman & Littlefield. pp. 94–. ISBN 978-1-4930-0137-8.
- Meek, Andy (14 June 2015). "Kimbal Musk takes the tech entrepreneur ethos and applies it to food". The Guardian. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Clotfelter, Susan (20 April 2012). "Jen Lewin designs The Kitchen Denver to savor simplicity". Denver Post. Denver Post. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Boulder artist Jen Lewin developing The Studio co-working space". Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- "burning man 2017 art installations and architecture". designboom | architecture & design magazine. 2017-08-29. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "Enchanted: Forest of Light returns with even more stunning illuminated installations". Time Out Los Angeles. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- "A Secret Sidewalk Harp in Downtown Minneapolis". Atlas Obscura. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- bjstaff. "Art Notes: 'Inside|Out' heads to the neighborhoods, 'Flux Chandelier' lights up UA". www.ohio.com. Retrieved 2018-03-15.
- Black, Sara. "Water tree: Single complex mold shapes unique composite sculpture". Composites World.
- "Georgetown will light up this winter with nine public art installations". Curbed DC. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- "La guía 2017 para el Visual Art Week CDMX". Vice (in Mexican Spanish). 2017-11-27. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- Boone, Lisa (20 December 2016). "See the spectacular nighttime holiday lighting display at Descanso Gardens". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- "'The Pool' makes a splash at urban festivals". timesfreepress.com. 2017-04-20. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- "The 13 Best Light Art Installations at Light City Baltimore 2017". Fodors Travel Guide. 2017-04-03. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- Duran, David (2017-03-27). "45 Years of Organized Arts & Culture in Hong Kong". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- Froyd, Susan. "Cherry Creek Arts Festival: Alive with Art". westword.com. westword.com.
- Yowell, Paige. "Interactive light and color show coming to Midtown Crossing for Swim Trials". omaha.com. Omaha World-Herald.
- RINALDI, MARK. "In Breckenridge, a flashy fest turns the light on for tourists".
- "WORLD RENOWNED INTERACTIVE SCULPTURE COMES TO DESIGN PAVILION".
- Harpaz, Beth. "Cities brighten the night with large-scale light festivals".
- "5 Artworks That will Dazzle You at Singapore's i Light Marina Bay 2016 Festival". Archived from the original on 2016-10-19. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- Merson, Adele. "FIRST GLIMPSE OF SPECTACULAR ARTWORK COMING TO ABERDEEN FOR SPECTRA LIGHT FESTIVAL".
- Ellis, David. "Winter Lights 2016: preview of free festival coming to Canary Wharf".
- LABORDE, LAUREN (30 November 2015). "Jen Lewin's 'The Pool' is Stealing the Show at Luna Fete".
- ALDINÇ, BURCU (5 October 2015). "Both Young and Old to be Enchanted by Light Artwork". Daily Sabah.
- Patel, Neel. "The 10 Best Burning Man 2015 Projects, and How They Work".
- "Art Festival: Cherry Arts Festival at Stanley". 24 October 2015.
- Kirkpatrick, Rachel. "SURROUNDED BY MILLENNIALS, BRANDS SCORE BIG AT BONNAROO".
- Sturrock, Staci. "5 cool things to do at 'The Pool,' downtown West Palm's art installation".
- "Vincent Vallières à Montréal en lumière". 3 February 2015.
- Gubernick, Debbie. "Scottsdale's Canal Convergence Dazzles with Fusion of Water, Art, Light". Archived from the original on 2016-10-26. Retrieved 2016-10-26.
- Vonledebur, Catherine. "Warwick Arts Centre family day includes music, roller disco and interactive art".
- "PRAGUE LIGHT FESTIVAL SIGNAL KICKS OFF!". illumni. October 17, 2014.
- Cipriano, Rita. "A Arte de Jen Lewin no Centro Colombo". Observador. Observador. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- Schwartz, Carly (July 30, 2014). "An Exclusive First Look At The Other-Worldly Art Of Burning Man 2014". Huffington Post.
- "AHA! festival of lights illuminates the atmosphere of downtown cleveland". Design Boom. October 3, 2014.
- THOMSEN, SIMON (June 7, 2014). "10 Things You Have To See At Vivid Sydney Before It Finishes On Monday".
- "Sustainable Art Glows Bright in Singapore". March 19, 2014.
- Brewer, Saraya (February 26, 2014). "LUMINOSITY: the most ambitious project in the organization's 60-year history". Smiley Pete.
- Cohen, Graff (October 9, 2013). "Chalk the Block brings Burning Man to El Paso". What's Up.
- Kelly, Kathy (September 23, 2013). "AWARD-WINNING INTERACTIVE SCULPTURES TO BE INSTALLED DURING CONWAY'S ARTSFEST". University of Central Arkansas.
- "Fifteen arts flashbacks from 2013". December 30, 2013.
- Young, Quentin. "People power Boulder artist's interactive exhibit 'It's Electric'".
- Senese, Mike. "SXSW's Maker Takeover Flashes, Then Fizzles". Wired.
- "Visual art: "Do You See What I See?" a show kids can appreciate". Denver Post. September 27, 2012.
- Vazifdar, Lena (August 27, 2012). "Burning Man Festival 2012: Art Installations Not to Miss". Travelers Today.
- Bryant, Kimberly. "The Super Pool's Upcoming Vibrant Debut". ignitechannel.com.[permanent dead link]
- Bregar, Bill (20 June 2014). "A rotomolded, shapely garden planter takes top award at TopCon".
- Peacock, Leslie (2 October 2013). "Let there be light: Lewin installations in Conway". Arkansas Times.
- Chase, Will. "Burning Man 2012 Honorarium Art Projects Announced". BurningMan.com.
- "2008 Honoraria Archive - Pool". Burning Man. Burning Man. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- "2005 Honorarium Installations". BurningMan.org.
- Official website